Dreamland is a book to obsess over

“I had this wild thought that he was the only one in all this chaos who was just like me, and that was comforting and profound all at once.” – Dreamland.

Frida Montalvo, Lead-Editor

Dreams are always great. They allow you to do whatever you want, be wherever you want, and be whoever you want. When dreams become reality, you don’t want it to end, no matter how horrible they become. They’re always better than reality. Sarah Dessen explains this beautifully in her novel Dreamland. 

High school junior Caitlin O’Koren narrates her struggles with filling in the hole her sister left when she ran away in Dreamland. After days and days of trying to be like her more-athletic, more popular, more everything sister, it feels like Caitlin is going through the motions of her day without really participating. However, everything changes with Rogerson Biscoe, the mysterious boy who entered her life with a new identity to offer her. 

Being with Rogerson always feels different than anything she has ever experienced. She can be whoever she wants without trying to fill in for her sister. She comes to love the person she becomes with Rogerson, so much she fears what might become of her if she were to lose him. Then, being with him became more dangerous than being without him.

This novel gives off a feeling like it understands what it’s like to be a body floating around life without any consciousness and wanting to break free so badly that it sometimes leads to the wrong path. 

Dreamland touches one’s soul and leaves a permanent mark that forces the reader to come back over and over again. The part that will make one obsess over this novel is the major plot twist halfway through the novel, shifting the mood of the novel from the story of teenage rebellion to a nightmare that sadly many teenagers go through. Dessen has such a beautiful way of describing the events and emotions of the novel that it brings tears to the reader’s eyes as he or she reads it. 

The readers sympathize with the characters to the point that they share the same emotions. The way Dessen describes Caitlin’s falling out touches the part of adolescence that not many people are aware of and makes the readers feel like they are experiencing it with her.

For those who are looking for a new obsession and a good cry, Dreamland is the book.