A tale of two violins

Frida Montalvo, Lead-Editor

In Teton High School’s auditorium, the Teton Orchestra creates joyful melodies in the 84 minutes of class they get. Amongst the violin section are juniors Lexi Hill and Carl Ripplinger who lead it with their amazing skills.

Hill first started playing her violin when she was four years old as a result of her great-great grandfather’s violin lying around and her mom wanting her to pick it up. Ripplinger’s journey with his violin started ten years ago, when his mom wanted him to play a duet with his sister, who plays the piano.

Hill and Ripplinger are part of the Teton Orchestra class as first violins. Both students found themselves learning how to cooperate with other students in the orchestra and improving their teamwork skills. 

Despite being outstanding players, both students have had their fair share of challenges throughout their violin career. Hill had struggled with practicing since at first she hated it and building up courage to perform in front of people. Ripplinger had faced his challenge when he learned to play a piece out of the Suzuki Violin School, Vol. 6, which demanded that he play two to three notes at the same time for five measures. His struggle paid off since he performed the piece for the talent show his freshman year, and everyone loved it.

Besides playing violin, Hill enjoys riding horses in her spare time while Ripplinger is part of the cross country team in the fall, the track and field team in the spring and reads whenever he finds the time.

In the future, Hill would like to go to a good music college to experience playing with a big orchestra and hopefully start teaching little kids the art of violin. Ripplinger would like to use the violin as a way to relax when he becomes stressed and hopefully play in college.

To all the kids barely starting to pick up the violin, remember the wise words of these young violinists: “Just keep going. It’s terrible at first, but it gets a lot better and it’s very rewarding, too,” said Hill.

Ripplinger added, “If you can play it slowly, you can play it quickly.”